Dear Rancher Customer,
As you may know by now, we rolled out a new version of monitoring and alerting in Rancher v2.5 (V2) that was released earlier this month. This communication is to primarily bring to the attention of users of the previously existing monitoring and alerting solution in Rancher v2.2.x-2.4.x (V1), the scope of our new V2 monitoring and alerting, and considerations for planning for the path from V1 to V2.
V2 monitoring and alerting (available with Rancher v2.5)
- Monitor the state and processes of your cluster nodes, Kubernetes components, and software deployments via Prometheus, a leading open-source monitoring solution
- Defines alerts based on metrics collected via Prometheus
- Creates custom dashboards to make it easy to visualize collected metrics via Grafana
- Configures alert-based notifications via Email, Slack, PagerDuty, etc. using Prometheus Alertmanager
- Defines precomputed frequently needed / computationally expensive expressions as new time series based on metrics collected via Prometheus (only available in 2.5.x)
- Exposes collected metrics from Prometheus to the Kubernetes Custom Metrics API via Prometheus Adapter for use in HPA (only available in 2.5)
For users of monitoring and alerting prior to Rancher v2.5
If you are currently using the V1 solution of Rancher monitoring and alerting (basically, what is available in Rancher v2.2.x-2.4.x), you can still upgrade to Rancher 2.5. Once you upgrade, you will need to take the following into consideration when planning to go from V1 to V2:
- Minimum resource requirements
- Understanding the behavioral differences between V1 and V2. For example, Monitoring V1 could be configured on both a cluster-level and on a project-level and would automatically scrape certain workloads deployed as Apps on the Rancher cluster
- Exploring migration strategies in the absence of a direct upgrade path
- Retaining your V1 solution in Rancher v2.5.x and beyond, with an awareness of the Rancher feature deprecation policy
- Known issues
Get to know the V2 solution better. Sign up for the master class.
To help you understand the V2 solution better, Rancher is offering a free Kubernetes master class next week (Tue, October 27, 2020, at 11 am US Eastern Time) on this topic run by SMEs from our product and field teams. Details below and sign up here:
- Changes to the Cluster Monitoring in Rancher 2.5
- Introduction to the Prometheus Operator
- Overview of the built-in dashboards
- Scraping additional workloads with Prometheus
- Adding additional dashboards to Grafana
- Adding additional data sources to Grafana
- Overview of the built-in alerts
- Configuring alert notification channels
- Adding additional alerts
Rancher Support recommends customers to join for the above class. Especially, users of V1 monitoring and alerting, to help understand the benefits, considerations, and implications of moving from V1 to V2. Interested customers are also encouraged to request follow-up private conversations with our product team, via their designated Rancher Customer Success Manager, to consult on specific scenarios.
If there are any questions (or you are interested in scheduling the conversation with our product team), simply submit a request via this portal referencing this article and we will track and respond to your question as a Support Ticket.
Rancher Support Team